Tuesday, October 26, 2010

T.I.A.

Its the cliché used by anyone everywhere here.  It’s in the context of any combination of chaos, confusion, the general unpredictability of life and the like. It’s usually said with undertones of exhaustion but is meant as acceptance and taking life in stride...that’s not what it meant for me yesterday. (21st)
If I time getting back from town to where I get a bicycle taxi to around 5:00, I get the experience when I am most content here. See if you take a bicycle up the hills at that time you’re in for a spectacular view. Think National Geographic in real time as the sun begins dropping behind the mountains. People are out, but since it’s the end of the day its quieter and you can hear drumming and singing as you pass through some of the villages, but really my senses are overwhelmed with the view of the sunset and for me it is one of those T.I.A moments when I find myself saying This. Is. Africa.

But I’ve been having the more typical T.I.A moments too. This past week especially, as things have become pretty frustrating and contact with friends and family has become intermittent and difficult. This is largely on my end as technology hampers communication.  Keeping sending emails when you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment