Thursday, October 14, 2010

And for another month I won’t get deported
Visas upon entry to Malawi are good for 30 days and then you have to get them renewed. The Organization I am here with assured us that they were to take care of it, and I diligently checked in weekly about it. But of course the visa was allowed to lapse with nothing being done. Here’s the problem, to travel anyway in country, even just to town, you risk being stopped by the army or police at check points and can ultimately be deported, as some volunteers recently have been. So for me to even get to town to renew my visa was a little on the stressful side and of course when I got to Blantrye the printers at the immigration department were not working so it took several hours. It only takes 1.5 hours to get to Blantrye but getting home took 4.5 as I got dropped off on the wrong side of a town I had never been to needing to catch another minibus. No Longer is my presence illegal...until the 1st week of November. Oh and I snapped and got mediocre internet access for my laptop at home so I can read emails.

No comments:

Post a Comment